Police are investigating two separate bust-ups between visitors at last week’s Balmoral Show, which led to two people being arrested.
Witnesses say up to 30 people were involved in one incident in the vicinity of a beer tent after the show finished on Thursday evening, just hours before Prince Edward visited the event on Friday. A number of people were taken into custody in the incident on the Halftown Road area of Lisburn. Police were also called to an altercation on Friday night, which police say was not linked to the earlier incident.
PSNI Constable Richard Taylor said that officers attended two “altercations”.
“Police made two arrests as a result of the incident on May 11,” he said. “Both incidents are not believed to be linked.
“Enquiries are ongoing, however we would appeal for anyone who witnessed anything to come forward. If you can help, please call the 101 number. Alternatively, information about crime can be passed on anonymously via the independent Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555 111.”
A spokesperson for the Balmoral Show said: “We are delighted with the success of the four day Balmoral Show 2017. Organisers are aware of an incident on May 12, in the Halftown Road vicinity, which police are currently investigating.”
Up to 100,000 people flocked to this year’s Balmoral Show – the 149th in history. The show moved from its old home at Belfast’s King’s Hall to the former Maze Prison site in 2013.